Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Earned my 1st stork

A few weeks ago I earned my 1st stork. Now this doesn't sound like such a big deal to most people, but in the line of work I am in earning a stork is a big deal. As a 911 operator it is very rare that we get to have a positive call. The birth of a baby is not a common occurrence. Many of the operators I work with have been there many years and never got a "baby" call. So imagine my surprise to get one while I am still in training. So here is what happened....

My 911 emergency recording went off. The male on the line said his wife was in labor and they were not going to make it to the hospital. I started the call entering for police and fire to respond. I then started going to the medical protocols. The male, Dad, was very calm. This was their 2nd baby, she was 40 weeks and having contractions about every 2 mins. This baby was coming. We had the dad checking for crowning and trying to keep the mother calm. I could hear her in the background. Now the rule with 911 operators and stork pins is that if the baby is not born while you have them on the phone you don't get credit. So my trainer and I were anxiously watching the map to see how far out the fire truck was as well as having the dad check to see how far along she was moving in the labor. We were in a race. Could we get this baby out before fire arrived?

We were cutting it close. Fire was driving lights and sirens to the house. The dad kept checking the progress, he thinks the baby was crowning. Then all of a sudden he said, "I can hear the fire trucks, so I'm going to go unlock the door." And put the phone down, while my trainer and I yelled, "NO!". When he came back to the phone he said fire was pulling up. We told him to check his wife at which time he screamed, said a word I won't repeat here, "The Heads out!" and hung up on us. We immediately put on our case comments that the head was out and that we had been disconnected. We then immediately went to the shift supervisor who said, "That counts. Congratulations, you just got your 1st stork!". We then went over to the fire dispatch and told them we wanted to know if it was a boy or girl and they said they would let us know. About 5 mins later they found us and told us it was a healthy baby boy.

When I went back and looked over the times from when the call came in and when we were disconnected it was 7 mins. She had that baby in 7 mins. Amazing!

So there's the story of how I got my 1st stork. Hopefully it won't be my last.

1 comment:

  1. Crazy! I can't imagine having a baby at home with no pain meds! I could easily be your next stork! LOL!

    ReplyDelete