Thursday, July 29, 2010

Dead battery fun...

I took the boys to see Toy Story 3 today at the movie theatre on Stapley. I had a gift card and that was all I needed as an excuse to take my boys out for some afternoon fun. We went to the 12:55 showing. There was no one in the theatre when we got there at 12:50! It was great. Maybe another 6 people came in, total. It made for an excellent movie experience. Anyways, the movie was great. We love the Toy Story movies. They are all very entertaining and good clean fun.

After the movie, I noticed that Joe had been calling me. I called him back and told him where we were and asked if we could come visit him at work. He said it wasn't a good time, which is fine because he is very busy getting ready for the back to school rush. He told me he was planning on staying late to work on a few projects so not to plan on him home for dinner. I told him okay and that we'd see him later.

Then the fun began! As we exited the theatres we noticed a major monsoon storm headed right for us. The wind was blowing dust and the air was very cool. That meant rain was coming. So we hurried to our car and got set to head over to visit grandma & papa since they just live over the freeway from the movie theatre. But the car wouldn't start. Not a sound. Dead battery.

My first instinct was to call Joe, and that's exactly what I did. Joe of course said he would be right there. I got everyone out of the hot car and we headed to the strip mall to take some cover from the dust and wind while we waited for Dad to come save us. I then thought to call my parents and tell them we weren't coming. Which my mother said, why didn't I just call them? They are so close and could come help, maybe even before the rain hits. I told my mom that Joe was already on his way and not to worry. The boys were having a great time playing in the wind and looking for rain drops.

It took Joe about 15 mins to get to us from his school. In that 15 mins the rain started to come down. It was falling in sheets of water. The boys were having a great time dodging drops and pretending they were being shot by the large drops of water. They were screaming and running, it was fun to watch. No one else was outside so I didn't worry about the noise.

By the time Joe drove up it was pouring! We raced back to our car. I loaded all the boys into my car and got out the jumper cables. Just walking around my car to the back had me soaked. Needless to say, we got the car jumped and running. Joe and I were completely soaked. My hair was dripping, I could ring out the water. I got in the car and Jacob was just laughing at us. Aaron said, "Mom doesn't get this wet when we go to the swimming pool!" And that is the truth. I never get fully wet at the swimming pool because I have a reaction to the chlorine in the water. But I was wet today.

The best part...Joe was heading home with us to make sure we got home safe and take care of the battery. He had to bring a ton of work home and will probably lock us all out of the office for the night, but he's home. In all it was an exciting day. Not exactly what I had planned, but a great day to make a memory. Got to love these monsoon afternoons in Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment