Thursday, September 23, 2010

K-9 Unit

Last night at my Mesa Police Citizens Academy we got to learn about the K-9 Units. They brought in 2 dog, Jake and Kino. Jake is a dual purpose dog. He does patrol with his officer as well as narcotics detection. Kino is a narcotics trained dog. Their officer handlers gave us a demo of what they do. They hid drugs in the room and dogs found them, fast. They put on the big training coats and sleeve and the dog attacked. They even let people in the class wear the sleeve so you could feel the strength of these animals. They bite and hold on. It was cool. No I didn't do the sleeve thing. I figured with my dog allergies and size, that dog would throw me all over the room. I watched Jake throw around a over 6 ft and I'd say over 200lb man last night. There was no way that sleeve was going on me. But it was fun to watch.

Here is the K-9 Unit website if you are interested in checking out all the MPD dogs. I'm hoping to schedule a demo for our Cub Scouts and Activity Day girls some time in the future.

http://www.mesaaz.gov/police/k9/jake.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment