Thursday, April 21, 2011

Baseball/Softball Injury #2

Lucky me! I have the 2nd sports related injury for this season. This past Monday at Joe & my coed softball games and overzealous teammate (male) ran into me out in right field. I was watching and waiting for a high fly ball to come down and out of no where the right center fielder slammed into me. My left foot got the brunt of the injury, but I am sore on the entire right side of my body. Luckily my foot is not broken, but here it is 3 days later and still swollen. The bruising is just starting, I'm sure it will get much worse. In the meantime, my doctor has me wearing a boot to protect my foot.

Wednesday morning I was not wearing my boot while getting Jared dressed for school and learned the importance of wearing the boot. Jared was being silly and accidentally stepped on my foot. I cried out in such pain, all the boys immediately sprang into action. My boot was brought to me, an ice pack and many kind words. I don't think they have ever seen me is such pain. Needless to say, I keep my boot on whenever children are around.

Hopefully I'll only have to wear it for a week or so. No softball for a week also, bummer. If it's not feeling better within a week or so, I have to go get it re-x-ray'd to see if there is a minor fracture that didn't show on the first x-ray. It's beginning to feel better but still very tender.


Until then here is my new fashion accessory.

This picture is to show the swelling. My feet usually are veiny, like the right one. You can also see the bruising beginning just at the base of my toes. Pretty cool!

The top of my foot took most of the force, but you can see how the swelling goes to the side of my foot also.

My new protection!

Interestingly enough, they found on my x-ray that I have a bone island on my left heel. They say it's nothing to worry about, but could give me problems in the future. I had to google it to figure out what a bone island is and I still don't fully understand. But basically it's a birth defect in the bone and I never would have known it was there except for the needed x-ray. If I begin to have pain in my heels I'll need to see a foot doctor for treatment. Something to look forward to!


On another note, I start my new job with 911 this upcoming Monday! Had my last day of preschool today, it was bitter sweet.


1 comment:

  1. Softball is not nice to you! You need to be careful and its only because your hard core!

    ReplyDelete