Friday, April 1, 2011

Cocoon Stage


This year for preschool I ordered live caterpillars for our study of caterpillar week. Of course the caterpillars did not arrive until after we completed the week, but it has all worked out perfectly. I delivered caterpillars to every one's home and kept the rest home with me so we can monitor them during school, and so my boys could enjoy them too. I started with 32 caterpillars, gave 9 out to students and my nephews, 1 caterpillar died and pictured here are the remaining 22 in cocoons. Of course I didn't even think of taking pictures of the caterpillars, which I am kicking myself for not doing.

It was just like our own live "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carle book at home. We skipped the egg stage and started with very small caterpillars. Each day they grew and fattened up. I will take pictures are the butterflies emerge from their cocoons. An up close view of the cocoons. Really cool looking. Hopefully 22 healthy butterflies will emerge in about 7 to 10 days.

The cocoons are on napkins that came with the kit. The instructions said to tape them to the side of the enclosure but, some of the tape didn't stick so I just lay them on the bottom. In this picture you can see that 1 cocoon fell off the napkin. I didn't want to disturb it so I just left it when it fell.

No comments:

Post a Comment