Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day 2 at the Hospital

We made it through day 2. Jacob is looking very normal and is doing great. His blood sugar levels got back into the normal range by around lunch. Before this I couldn't have told you anything about blood sugar, carbohydrates, the pancreas and how it all works together. But we are becoming experts as fast as we can. To begin, when I brought Jacob into the hospital on Friday afternoon his blood sugar level was 650. Normal range for him should be 90-180 tops. He was in the danger zone. It was scary. So to have him back into normal ranges by lunchtime today was exciting. This meant he could prepare to start injecting insulin and get off the IV.

He was offered a sugar free clear lunch, which consisted of jello, popsicles, diet soda and more jello. He ate 1/2 a popsicle and turned away from everything else. His numbers continued to stay in the healthy range so at 5pm tonight he got his first injection. It was scary, he was worried and stressed. But he did it. And it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. Because he did that, he was able to eat food for dinner. Sadly the dinner was unappetizing to him so he picked at it. I was able to get him a chocolate milk from the kitchen they keep stocked for families at the hospital. They also had cheddar cheese which he perked up for and gobbled down. It was good to see him reacting to choices and food. He was told that tomorrow he gets to choose his breakfast from off the menu. He was looking forward to that.

They brought in the Wii for him to play. He has Internet access from his bed and a full range of movies. The hospital staff are wonderful. They have been patient and kind.

The best part, he called me tonight and asked if he was feeling really good tomorrow night could we take a special trip to Dairy Queen for ice cream. I just laughed and told him the truth. Although I think it is a great idea, I don't know that the doctors want him leaving the hospital just yet. But that I know for a fact that they have ice cream at the hospital and we can make arrangements to have some tomorrow. (I know they have ice cream because I ate some today while he was sleeping. They keep the kitchen well stocked with tons of snacks and treats for the families.) It lifted my spirits to hear him asking for ice cream. Jacob loves ice cream. In fact almost every day before this happened he had been asking me for ice cream, but I had told him no because it was too late at night or whatever. Well, tomorrow he can have ice cream. We will figure out how and he is having ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. Sherri you guys are amazing! I'm glad to hear that he's doing better.

    ReplyDelete